Vermont Science Initiative Science and Engineering Academy
Date: August 6 - 11, 2017
Times: Sunday 4 p.m. - 7 p.m., Monday and Tuesday 8:30 a.m.- 4 p.m., and 6 p.m. - 8 p.m., Wednesday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m., plus three follow-up dates during the school year TBD.
Contact: Pat Fitzsimmons, Math/Science Partnership Program Manager, (802) 479-1425
The Vermont Science Initiative (VSI) is offering sustained support for K-8 teachers through a combination of a summer institute on science and engineering, three follow-up days, sustained support through on-site team meetings (PLCs), and additional content through the NSTA Learning Center. Teachers will deepen their understanding of science and engineering content and best instructional practices and earn four graduate credits. This opportunity kicks off with a summer institute from August 6-11, 2017. Learn more on the VSI website or email VSI Project Managers Renee Affolter or Deanna Bailey.
Format: Science/Engineering/Pedagogy Institute integrating science, engineering, model-based reasoning, formative assessment, and relevant technology. An engineer, science professor and pedagogy specialist will work together to design and deliver the content and learning opportunities.
Stipend: $700 Stipend, four graduate credits, meals, and optional lodging.
- Summer Institute, August 6-11, 2017. Lyndon State College, 8:30 a.m. - 4 pm., and three required evening sessions.
- Three follow-up days during the school year
- Targeted Science Content through completion of three SciObjects. These learning experiences focus on a set of key content ideas and allow teachers to target and choose the content they need. For more information, please visit the NSTA Learning Center website
- Site-specific PLC work, three professional learning community meetings will provide both the time and the collegial support to complete the requirements of the program. The PLCs will allow teams to examine key practices to enhance student learning, reflect on student progress, and plan next steps for instruction.
- Participation in evaluation of the VSI program including but not limited to: teacher and student pre/post tests, surveys, and interviews.