Temporary License

Provisional and emergency licenses are temporary licenses designed to assist districts that have advertised and are unable to fill vacant positions with suitable licensed candidates. The temporary license process begins with a request from a Superintendent or Career Technical Education Director to the Agency of Education. Temporary license applications cannot be accessed without permission from the Agency of Education. Once the temporary license is approved, the educator will receive additional instructions from the Agency for proceeding with the application. 

Apprenticeship Licenses

An apprenticeship license is a three year temporary license issued to unlicensed educators employed in a Vermont technical center in a technical professional or trades and industry endorsement. Requests for apprenticeship licenses are initiated by the director of a career and technical center.

Provisional Requests for Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Educator

The AOE, in collaboration with our community partners at Vermont Birth to Five, have developed a process for Early Childhood (EC) teachers in community-based programs otherwise meeting the Act 166 prequalification criteria to apply to be awarded EC Provisional licensure and provided mentoring support to obtain a VT Level I teaching license with an EC or EC Special Educator endorsement.


Email the Licensing Help Line or call (802) 479-1700.  The Licensing Office is staffed Monday through Friday, 7:45 am to 4:30 pm.

Contact Us

Vermont Agency of Education
Secretary Rebecca Holcombe
219 North Main Street, Suite 402
Barre, VT 05641

(802) 479-1030 | aoe.edinfo@vermont.gov
Staff Directory | Division Phone Numbers

Connect with Us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
Google+ icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon