State-Placed Students

Students who are placed outside of their school district by a state agency or a licensed child placement agency, or who are residing in a program for pregnant and parenting women, or are placed in a residential treatment facility by a state agency are considered "state-placed".

Sometimes children need additional supports and services beyond what the school is providing. Act 264 is a law that ensures coordination of services for students with an emotional disability who are receiving services from more than one agency for example their local school and the local Mental Health Clinic. With the reauthorization of the Interagency Agreement under IDEIA, the Agency of Human Services is seeking to extend the coordination of services to other populations of children it serves such as those who have a developmental disability or those in need of substance abuse treatment.

Special Services Request for Reimbursement & Billing Forms for a State-Placed Student Who is NOT Special Education Eligible

Vermont statute 16 V.S.A. ยง 2950(a) allows the secretary to have discretion to approve payment for educational costs for "state-placed" students who are not special education eligible, when the costs are due to the special needs of the student. NOTE: Documents marked with a (W) are designed to be downloaded to a hard drive and completed with a word processing application. Complete the form by using the "tab" key to move through the document. This form requires a signature, so you must complete, save and print a hard copy of a document for signature. Electronic versions of the completed forms will NOT be accepted.

2013 - 2014
2012 - 2013

Count of State-Placed Students

IEP Calculation Sheet and District Special Education Program Calculation Sheet

Two worksheets have been prepared that school districts need to use when they are billing on Worksheet A for portions of their staff for specialized instruction for state-placed students and need to bill for more than the state allowed rate. One is for individual student services and one is for special education programs. Use this link for the Special Education Expenditure Report, instructions and all other related forms.

Regular Education Tuition Reimbursement Form

Use the Regular Education Tuition Reimbursement Form (SPS Form 5) for the cost of regular education tuition for state-placed students placed in towns that tuition. Please complete all sections electronically, print the form, and sign. Mail the original form to the Agency of Education, Attention: GSM Division, to 219 North Main Street, Suite 402 Barre, VT 05641. The agency will not accept the form via email or without an original signature.


Cathy Scott at or (802) 479-1234

Page Last Updated on June 16, 2015