Rules & Endorsement Areas


Act 214 of the 2006 Vermont legislative session established a new board of professional educators to oversee the training, licensing and professional standards of teachers and administrators. This act took effect on July 1, 2007 and transferred the rule making authority of Rule Series 5100 to the purview of the Vermont Standards Board for Professional Educators.

Rule changes were made, effective December 26, 2014.

Rule Series 5100: Rules Governing the Licensing of Educators and the Preparation of Educational Professionals


In order to be valid, each Level I and Level II license shall have one or more endorsements. Each license shall have a code(s) as specified in Section 5445 that indicates the endorsement field(s) in which the holder is authorized to practice, and shall also specify the grade level(s) in which the holder is authorized to practice.

Supplement A (5440) to the Vermont Standards Board for Professional Education Manual of Rules provides competencies for all recognized endorsement areas. Endorsements are organized under the following sub-headings.


Administrator Endorsements

Assistant Director for Adult Education
Career and Technical Center Director
Director of Curriculum
Director of Special Education


  Teacher Endorsements
Bilingual Education
Business Education
Career & Technical Education
Career & Technical Education School Counseling Coordinator
Computer Science
Design and Technology Education
Driver & Traffic Safety Education
Early Childhood Education 
Educational Technology Specialist
Elementary Education
English Language Learner (ELL)
Family and Consumer Sciences 
Health Education
Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Instructor
Library Media Specialist
Middle Grades

Modern and Classical Languages

NOTE: Definitions of Proficiency for ACTFL and ASLTA Language Testing
For licensure in French, Spanish, German, or Latin, individuals must take and pass the required Praxis II exams. In all other languages, ACTFL or ASLTA testing is required to demonstrate proficiency. Using ACTFL definitions, this document defines the level of passage required for each type of language in order to be considered proficient in that language.

Online Teaching Specialist
Physical Education
Reading/English Language Arts Coordinator
Reading/English Language Arts Specialist
School Counselor

School Nurse

NOTE: To register for the School Nurse Orientation, which is required for School Nurse Certification,contact Sharonlee Trefry MSN, RN, NCSN at the Vermont Department of Health at (802) 863-7348 or

Associate School Nurse
School Psychologist
School Social Worker
Social Studies
Theater Arts
  Work Based Learning Coordinator
  Special Education Endorsements

Career and Technical Special Needs Coordinator

Consulting Teacher
Early Childhood Special Educator
Educational Speech Language Pathologist
Intensive Special Education Teacher
Special Educator
Teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired
Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing


  Additional Information on Endorsements

Appropriate Endorsements for Alternative Program Teachers
Anyone teaching in a public alternative program in Vermont must maintain a current Vermont educator license. However, Vermont does not have a specific alternative education endorsement. The chart below indicates the endorsements that are considered appropriate for alternative program assignments.

An "Alternative Program," as the term is intended here, is one in which students receive all or the majority of their instruction in one or more of the core academic content areas of English language arts, math, science, or social studies in a program that is different from or separate from the regular school program. This chart is not intended for teachers of special education classes or of alternative programs designed exclusively or primarily for special education students. These individuals must carry an appropriate special education endorsement.

Appropriate Endorsements for Providers of Supplemental Reading and/or Math Teachers
Anyone teaching in a Vermont public school must maintain a current Vermont educator license. However, Vermont does not have specific endorsements for those providing supplemental reading and/or math services. Use the link above to view a chart that indicates the endorsements that are considered appropriate for these assignments.



Rebecca Plude at or (802) 479-1718

Page Last Updated on January 15, 2015