Postsecondary Education Approval
A wide range of postsecondary and higher education institutions are found in Vermont. The Vermont Agency of Education reviews applications to start colleges in the state and protects student records in the event that a postsecondary institution ceases operating.
These colleges and universities were chartered outside of Vermont, but are certified by the State Board of Education to offer credit-bearing courses or degrees in the state:
In-State Higher Education Institutions
These colleges and universities were chartered in Vermont:
Records for Closed Postsecondary Schools
State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements
The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement
(SARA) is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs.
It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state.
The New England Board of Higher Education approved Vermont as a member state in April 2015. Applications for enrollment as an approved postsecondary institution in Vermont will begin on July 1, 2015.
- The Vermont Agency of Education will serve as the state agency to coordinate SARA matters in Vermont.
- Participation for Vermont institutions is voluntary.
- Membership is open to degree-granting postsecondary institutions from all sectors accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education.
- Approved institutions will be able to operate in other participating SARA states without seeking independent authorization from those states.
- Vermont is not charging an application fee for approval; however, approved institutions will need to pay an annual fee to SARA.
Questions and Completed Applications
Cassandra Ryan, Postsecondary Approvals
VT Agency of Education
219 North Main Street, Suite 402
Barre, VT 05641
email@example.com or (802) 479-8545
Other Postsecondary Resources
organizations play important roles in serving the higher
education needs of Vermont residents.
Cassandra Ryan, School Finance Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (802) 479-8545
Page Last Updated on July 27, 2015