Special Education - Policy & Administration

This page contains descriptions and links to local administrators and pertinent information regarding agreements with other state agencies.
  Special Education Finance Information
Use this link to access specific information about special education finance administration (including Medicaid).
  Federal Compliance Monitoring
Through monitoring visits, department staff examine compliance with federal and state rules and regulations and offer technical assistance to special education staff. Team members interview school staff from each school to gather information about the educational and special education supports and services and talk with parents who have children currently receiving special education services. A variety of data is collected and summarized in a report which is disseminated to the supervisory unions' administrators.

Secondary Transition Planning
Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), transition planning from school to adult life begins, at the latest, during high school. Transition planning is required, by law, to start once a student reaches 16 years of age, or younger, if appropriate. This transition planning becomes formalized as part of the student's Individualized Education Program (IEP). View department resources, including templates and sample forms, student and parents resources, and applicable state and federal rules and regulations.

  Approved Child Placement Agencies
This document provides the current list of Vermont-approved child placement agencies. If a child has been placed in a district by a private agency not listed here, the student is not state-placed. NOTE: This list supercedes all others.

Dispute Resolution: Mediation, Due Process and Administrative Complaints
Parents of a child receiving special education services who disagree with decisions made by the school regarding a child's identification, eligibility, evaluation, Individualized Education Program (IEP) or placement have three options available for resolving disputes with the school. These options include mediation, due process hearing and administrative complaint:

  Interagency Agreement between the Agency of Education and Agency of Human Services (June 2005) 
This agreement clarifies how these state agencies will work together to ensure that all necessary services for an eligible child to receive a free appropriate public education are provided. Services might include specialized instruction in school, transition support, counseling and mental health support as well as other forms of assistance. The agreement outlines several activities, including creation of transition task forces and cross training for agency staff and educators. It also calls for regular meetings between the education commissioner and Agency of Human Services secretary and annual reports to the Governor's Cabinet on Children and Youth. NOTE: A link to an interagency agreement users guide is also available using the link above.

Page Last Updated on December 15, 2014