As per the Education Quality Standards (EQS) , Vermont uses the Standards for English Language Arts/Literacy as laid out by the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). The CCSS breaks literacy skills down into the areas of reading, writing, language (i.e., grammar and usage) and speaking/listening. It also outlines literacy skills in history, social studies, science and technical subjects. Students who become proficient in the CCSS develop the reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in college, career, and life. In addition, Vermont is moving towards proficiency-based learning, with the goal of identifying and addressing gaps to provide equitable learning opportunities for every student.
Professional Learning and Resources
English Language Arts
- CCSS ELA Scope & Sequence K-12
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Vermont Professional Learning Network
- Proficiency-Based Learning in the ELA Classroom
Performance Tasks & Assessment
- Performance Task Resource Bank
- Research Supporting Performance Tasks (Stanford School Redesign Network)
- Assessment Systems that Support High-Quality Learning
- Vermont Smarter Balanced Portal
Email Pat Fitzsimmons or call (802) 479-1425.