The following resources are intended to help families make decisions about special education services for students who have disabilities and who are eligible for special education services under the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
Under the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) of 2004 and Agency of Education's Special Education rules, parents have specific rights concerning their participation in the special education process.
- Vermont Special Education Rules
- Parents’ Rights in Special Education Procedural Safeguards Notice
Request a translated version from Sabine Baldwin, (802) 479-1393.
- Special Education Parent Resources
Parents of a student receiving special education services who disagree with decisions made by the school regarding a student's identification, eligibility, evaluation, Individualized Education Program (IEP) or placement have three options available for resolving disputes with the school.
All publicly funded students enrolled in grades 3-8 and 11 in Vermont schools must take state assessments. While most students participate in the general statewide assessments with no accommodations, a small percentage of students take the general assessment using approved accommodations when necessary. An even smaller number of students (approximately 500) participate in the assessment accountability system using an alternate assessment. The alternate assessment allows students with significant cognitive disabilities (SWSD) to demonstrate their knowledge and skills on core academic content and for their performance scores to be included in school accountability.
- Cerebral Palsy Group
- Nine East Network
- Special Olympics Vermont
- Vermont Assistive Technology Program
- Vermont Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired (VABVI)
- Vermont Association of the Deaf
- Vermont Council of Special Education Administrators (VCSEA)
- Vermont Family Network
- Vermont Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health (VFF)
- Vermont Higher Education Collaborative (VT-HEC)
- Vermont I-Team