Special Education Rules
Vermont's special education regulations and other regulations related to special education are contained in the State Board of Education, Series 2360 – Special Education Rules. Please also read the Memo: Guidance on Special Education Rules.
Statutes and Acts
- Act 117, passed in 2000, is intended to strengthen the capacity of Vermont's education system to meet the needs of all Vermont students in the general education environment.
- Act 157 requires that schools develop a comprehensive educational support system (ESS) with the capacity to provide a range of social, academic and behavioral supports.
- Act 264: An Act Relating to the Creation of an Advisory Board and State and Local Interagency Teams to Assist in the Provision of Care for Children and Adolescents with Severe Emotional Disturbances
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) helps improve education for children with disabilities.
- The Rehabilitation Act authorizes programs for vocational rehabilitation, supported employment, independent living, and client assistance.
The interagency workgroup helps to coordinate services for students who are served by multiple agencies and collaborates with schools and human services agencies.