The Agency of Education provides a statewide system of support for continuous improvement by:
- Training and support for applying an improvement science approach to continuous improvement planning;
- Guiding the administration of comprehensive needs assessments and implementing continuous improvement plans;
- Differentiating support and monitoring of continuous improvement plans; and
- Organizing and managing systems of Networked Improvement Communities (NICs) in which schools can test and revise improvement theories, as well as share promising practices.
Theory of Action
If we provide evidence-based, differentiated technical assistance, resources, and professional learning opportunities to Supervisory Unions and Supervisory Districts based on a coherent, education quality and continuous improvement framework, then we will build statewide capacity, equity, internal accountability and improve educational outcomes for all.
We have been in the process of maximizing the quality of internal infrastructure and processes in order to better support the needs of our local education agencies (LEAs) and schools. Our Education Quality Team (formerly School Effectiveness) is committed to providing evidence-informed, differentiated technical assistance, resources, professional learning opportunities, and support to local education agencies, based on a coherent education quality framework for continuous improvement. Our goal is to build statewide capacity, equity, internal accountability, and improve educational outcomes for all. Collectively, with other newly formed Agency of Education teams, we are integrating our Education Quality Standards (EQS), as well as the new federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) standards for equity, to best support LEAs and schools.
Education Quality and Continuous Improvement Framework
In light of recent local and national political events, the Education Quality Assurance Team will be revising the Education Quality and Continuous Improvement Framework. This comprehensive document features a synthesis of research, resources for developing a deeper understanding of Vermont’s Education Quality Standards, as well as in-depth support for the continuous improvement process. This document will be re-posted once revisions are complete. The document is intended to be one in which updates will occur frequently, to ensure that we are meeting the needs of Vermont educators, as well as providing them with the most current research.
Our team manages federal programs for school improvement by:
- Administering the school improvement grant application and approval process;
- Guiding the development and implementation of comprehensive support and improvement programs, and targeted support and improvement programs, as described in Every Student Succeeds Act, as well as monitoring the implementation and impact;
- Organizing and coordinating the support system, in collaboration with other AOE teams; and
- Facilitating sessions at the Annual CFP Conference.
Technical Support and Resources
- Every Student Succeeds Act
- ESSA in Vermont
- Council of Chief State School Officers ESSA
- Adequate Yearly Progress
- Consolidated Federal Programs
A Collaborative Approach
In our effort to offer LEAs and schools comprehensive support, we collaborate with other AOE teams. You can access information and resources specific to their work at the following:
Further, our Education Quality Team also uses a collaborative approach for supporting schools. We assume collective responsibilities for all LEAs and you may contact any member of our team for technical assistance and support.
Email the Education Quality Team.
Donna Stafford, Education Quality Manager, (802) 479-1349
Lori Dolezal, Education Quality Manager, (802) 479-1405
Jesse Roy, Education Quality Coordinator, (802) 479-1230