Eligibility for licensure through the traditional route is determined by the completion of a state approved educator preparation program at a college or university through a bachelor, post-baccalaureate or master’s degree program and recommendation for licensure from the institution. Vermont currently has educator reciprocity with all states except: New York, New Mexico, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Educators who hold a current license, or have a recommendation for licensure on their transcript, from any of these states; will need to apply for Initial License through Transcript Review.
Apply for Initial Licensure
- Apply Online to Become a Vermont Educator
- Help Guide: Initial License Application
- Fees for Licensure
- Testing Requirements
- Initial Level I License Application - Traditional Route Flowchart
- Endorsement Codes
- Out of Country Postsecondary Education
- Guidelines: "Official Transcript"
- Memo: Acceptance of Praxis Score Reports
Criminal Record Check
Criminal record checks are completed within the online application. All applicants must complete a fingerprint supported criminal record check.