Check to see if you're eligible for free and reduced school meals
Consult the Free and Reduced Lunch Income Eligibility table to see if your student(s) qualify for Free and Reduced Meals based on your household size and income.
Regardless of household income, students who meet any of the following criteria are directly certified (pre-qualified) for free school meals. You should receive a letter from your school telling you that your student has been directly certified for free school meals if your student:
- Is a state-placed foster student (any student in DCF custody)
- Receives services under the McKinney-Vento Homelessness Assistance Act or the Runaway and Homeless Youth Act
- Receives services from the Migrant Education Program
- Lives in a household where any member receives ReachUp (TANF) or 3SquaresVT (SNAP)
- Participates in a federal HeadStart Program
If your student meets one of the above criteria but you have not received a letter from your school, you can complete an application indicating that they fall into one of these categories.
Check to see if your school district or supervisory union has an online application.
Look for your district on the list of school districts and supervisory unions with online applications. If your student's school is part of a district or superviosry union that has an online application, use it to apply.
If your district doesn't have an online application, please print out and complete the paper application.
Once the application is complete, send it back to the school office with your student or mail it to your school.
If you don't have access to a printer, please contact your child's school to request a copy of the form. You only need to submit one application per supervisory union for your family.
If you have any questions about the application, take a look at our list of Frequently Asked Questions. If you still have questions, please contact your school office.
Your child's school will respond to your application within 10 days. If your application is denied, the communication will include instructions about how to appeal.
Review other benefits that your family is eligible for once approved for free and reduced price school meals.
List of Districts with Online Applications
The following districts have Free and Reduced Lunch applications on MySchoolApps.com. Choose your district from the drop down menu to begin.
- Addison Central School District
- Burlington School District
- Colchester School District
- Essex Westford School District
- Lamoille South Supervisory Union
- South Burlington School District
- Windham Northeast
The following districts have Free and Reduced Lunch applications on LunchApplication.com. Select Vermont from the first drop down menu, then select your school district to begin.
- Lamoille North Supervisory Union
- North Country Supervisory Union Elementary Schools
- North Country Supervisory Union Jr. High/Sr. High