The VTmtss Field Guide are guidelines for the field - expanded from the last edition in 2014 – that support schools and SU/SDs in designing comprehensive systems so that the knowledge, information, and expertise already embedded in a school system can ensure equitable outcomes for all students.
The first Field Guide was published in 2014, after two years of work by a committed group of Vermont professionals. Their work laid the foundation for this Field Guide. However, after five years, there was a need to capture the new policies and practices that have emerged from bold and fresh thinking at all levels of the educational cascade.
This 2019 edition reflects a renewed and strengthened commitment to promoting rigorous outcomes for everyone, especially for students who have been historically marginalized and/or under-performing.
What's new in the 2019 VTmtss Field Guide
The VTmtss Field Guide is intended to provoke conversation and reflection, provide information about effective practices, and support collaborative and systemic efforts to improve outcomes for all students. Changes from the previous Field Guide include:
- An explicit discussion of how school and district internal cultures contributes to school improvement in each component
- A new section, VTmtss in Action, that addresses how to use the Systemic and Comprehensive Approach for decision-making, continuous improvement and problem-solving
- A set of Vignettes showing how Vermont schools are using the VTmtss Framework to address questions and make decisions
- Practical Matters discussions for each component to explore some of the practical issues that need to be addressed
- Reflection Tools for schools or school districts to look at their systems and practices through the lenses of the components and their interconnectivity
Enhanced discussion of social and emotional concerns and Specific Learning Disability (SLD) determination
- An explicit connection to Vermont and federal legislative policy, specifically: EQS, Act 173, ESSA, and IDEA
- Intentional connection to state guidelines on assessment, specific learning disabilities, early education, and community and family engagement
A Digging Deeper section that provides further resources and information about each component