The Vermont Agency of Education, in collaboration with roughly 2000 stakeholders statewide, has drafted a Vermont State Plan in response to the requirements of the Vermont Education Quality Standards and the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). The Plan primarily describes the state’s proposed system for local-level accountability and applications for ESSA-related federal funding, with an emphasis on supporting school and Supervisory Union and District continuous improvement efforts.
The proposed Plan was initially submitted to the US Department of Education (US ED) for review on April 3, 2017. A revised plan was submitted to US ED on May 3, 2017 following an initial federal review for completion. US ED has 120 days to respond to this revised submission; at that time, they will either accept the Plan as submitted, or a dialogue will begin between US ED and the AOE about possible Plan revision.
- Draft of the Vermont State Plan (Submitted May 3, 2017)
A final version of the Plan will be posted to this site when it has been approved by US ED.
- Press Release, Executive Summaries and Overview: Agency of Education Submits Vermont State Plan to U.S. Department of Education
Public Comment Presentations
The public comment period for the draft Vermont State Plan closed on February 13, 2017. A summary of the feedback received during that period can be found below:
As a part of preparing for the public comment process, the AOE developed several presentations describing Plan goals and content. Those goals and that content are reflected in the draft that was submitted to US ED for review, although the content was reconfigured to reflect federal template formatting.
The public comment presentations can be found below. The format of the Plan no longer follows the descriptions provided in the presentations, but the presentations still provide an overview of Plan goals, and of many of the proposals submitted to US ED for review.
- Overview of Vermont State Plan (Presentation)
- Overview of Accountability (Presentation)
- Accountability Transition Plan (Presentation)
- Supporting Excellent Educators (Presentation)
- Supporting All Students (Presentation)
- Performance Management System (Presentation)
- Public Input (Presentation)