Vermont offers an "alternate route to licensure" for those who have not completed a traditional educator preparation program at a college or university. Vermont's alternate route is License by Evaluation or "Peer Review." Every Peer Review candidate completes a portfolio, which is reviewed by experienced teachers culminating in an interview.
Acceptance into the Peer Review program requires:
- A candidate must hold a B.A./ B.S./ B.F.A. Official transcripts may be sent to AOE.Transcripts@vermont.gov.
- All Praxis Core (or alternate test scores) and Praxis II (if applicable to endorsement sought) successfully passed and scores submitted to Agency of Education. Please see testing requirements.
- A current resume - please include relevant teaching experience.
Peer Review Clinics
Attending a clinic is a requirement of the portfolio. Clinic attendees will receive a certificate of attendance to submit with their completed portfolios. Candidates may apply to Peer Review prior to attending a clinic. Space is limited.
2019 Clinic Dates
The following clinics will be held at Barre City Place, 219 North Main Street in Barre:
- Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2019, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. Register online.
- Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. Register online.
Apply for Licensure
Please be advised that application processing fees are non-refundable.
- Apply online for Peer Review
- Peer Review Flowchart
- Peer Review: Add Endorsement Flowchart
- Help Guide: Peer Review Application
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Fees for Licensure
- Testing Requirements