Eligibility for licensure through reciprocity  is determined by meeting requirements under the rules of reciprocity per the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement. Vermont currently has educator reciprocity with all states except: New York, New Mexico, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Educators who hold a current license, or have a recommendation for licensure on their transcript, from any of these states; will need to apply for Initial License through Transcript Review.

What does it mean to apply under the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement? The NASDTEC Interstate Agreement is a statement by Vermont outlining which other states' educator certificates will be accepted. Specifically the agreement outlines which particular types of educator certificates (teachers, administrators, service personnel, or career/technical), and which particular styles of certifications (titles, fields, etc.) will be accepted.



If you have a Massachusetts Teaching License, we can only accept Professional Licenses for reciprocity.  We cannot use Initial Massachusetts teaching licenses as the initial status requirement for Massachusetts does not meet the minimum standards for a VT initial license.

If you have a New Jersey Teaching License, we can only accept Standard teaching certificates for reciprocity.  Other New Jersey certificates do not meet the minimum standards for a VT initial license.

Contact Us

Vermont Agency of Education
Secretary Daniel M. French
1 National Life Drive, Davis 5
Montpelier, VT 05620-2501

Web and Document Accessibility Policy​
Public Records Requests

(802) 828-1130 |
Staff Directory | Division Phone Numbers

Connect with Us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
Google+ icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon