The Ethnic and Social Equity Standards Advisory Working Group was created by Act 1 of 2019 to review standards for student pefromance adopted by the State Board of Education and recommend to the State Board updates and additional standards to recognize fully the history, contributions and perspectives of ethnic groups and social groups. These recommended additional standards shall be designed to:
- Increase cultural competency of students in prekindergarten through grade 12;
- Increase attention to the history, contributions and perspectives of ethnic groups and social groups;
- Promote critical thinking regarding the history, contributions and perspectives of ethnic groups and social groups;
- Commit the school to eradicating any racial bias in its curriculum;
- Provide, across its curriculum, content and methods that enable students to explore safely questions of identity, race equality and racism; and
- Ensure that the basic curriculum and extracurricular programs are welcoming to all students and take into account parental concerns about religion or culture.
The Working Group may review State statuates, State Board rules, and school district and supervisory union policies that concern or impact standards for student performance or curriculum used in schools.
May 29, 2020 - Report to the General Assembly
January 4, 2021 - Report to the General Assembly
April 14, 2022 - Final Recommendation to the State Board of Education on Education Quality Standards
December 28, 2022 - Report to the General Assembly
August 31, 2023 - Final Report to the Legislature
Moving Vermont into the Future
Moving Education Forward in Vermont: An Act 1 Working Group Update
Memorandum: Revisions to the Series 2000 - Educational Quality Standards/Manual of Rules and Practices
Act 1 Ethnic Studies and Social Equity Working Group - Supplemental Guidance to Revised EQS Manual
EQS Supporting Materials:
Act 1 Working group Submission on Terms and Definitions Related to Critical Thinking
Act 1 Submission to the State Board of Education
Act 1 Response to State Board of Education EQS Manual, Definitional Revisions
Act 1 Supplemental Guidance to Revised EQS Manual
Introductive Narrative to EQS Manual
Act 1 Response to AOE Technical Corrections to EQS Manual
Please send questions for the Ethnic and Social Equity Standards Advisory Working Group to Chair Amanda Garces - Amanda.Garces@vermont.gov.
Please send public comment to the Act 1 Working Group Members - email@example.com.