The Ethnic and Social Equity Standards Advisory Working Group was created by Act 1 of 2019 to review standards for student pefromance adopted by the State Board of Education and recommend to the State Board updates and additional standards to recognize fully the history, contributions and perspectives of ethnic groups and social groups. These recommended additional standards shall be designed to:
- Increase cultural competency of students in prekindergarten through grade 12;
- Increase attention to the history, contributions and perspectives of ethnic groups and social groups;
- Promote critical thinking regarding the history, contributions and perspectives of ethnic groups and social groups;
- Commit the school to eradicating any racial bias in its curriculum;
- Provide, across its curriculum, content and methods that enable students to explore safely questions of identity, race equality and racism; and
- Ensure that the basic curriculum and extracurricular programs are welcoming to all students and take into account parental concerns about religion or culture.
The Working Group may review State statuates, State Board rules, and school district and supervisory union policies that concern or impact standards for student performance or curriculum used in schools.