A wide range of post-secondary and higher education institutions are found in Vermont. The Agency of Education reviews applications to start colleges in the state and protects student records in the event that a postsecondary institution ceases operating. Statute: 16 V.S.A. § 175 - Postsecondary educational institutions; closing. State Board Rules: 2240 Postsecondary Schools.
- In-state higher education institutions
- Out-of-state colleges
- State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements
- Other postsecondary resources
These colleges and universities were chartered in Vermont:
- Bennington College
- Castleton State College
- Center for Cartoon Studies
- Champlain College
- College of St. Joseph
- Community College of Vermont
- Goddard College
- Green Mountain College
- Johnson State College
- Landmark College
- Lyndon State College
- Marlboro College
- Middlebury College
- New England Culinary Institute
- Norwich University
- St. Michael's College
- Southern Vermont College
- Sterling College
- University of Vermont
- Vermont College of Fine Arts
- Vermont Law School
- Vermont Technical College
- World Learning (formerly School for International Training)
These colleges and universities were chartered outside of Vermont, but are certified by the State Board of Education to offer credit-bearing courses or degrees in the state:
- Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Antioch New England Graduate School (NH)
- Nova Southeastern University (FL)
- River Valley Community College
- Southern New Hampshire University (NH)
- Springfield College (MA)
- Union Institute & University (OH, with a location in Brattleboro, VT)
- University of Massachusetts, in affiliation with Yestermorrow Design/Build School
To comply with US Department of Education regulations related to eligibility for federal student financial aid programs, the Vermont Agency of Education provides information on complaint resolution of postsecondary schools.
Records for Closed Postsecondary Schools
On June 18, 2019 the State of Vermont named the Vermont State Colleges System as the official repository for Burlington College student records. By October 1, 2019 all Burlington College student records will be transferred from the Vermont Agency of Education to the Vermont State Colleges System, and the Vermont State Colleges System will serve as the facilitator of requests for Burlington College student records.
To place a request for a certified true copy of your student academic record, visit the Vermont State College System page.
The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establish comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs.
It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state.
The New England Board of Higher Education approved Vermont as a member state in April 2015. Applications for enrollment as an approved postsecondary institution in Vermont began on July 1, 2015.
- The Agency of Education will serve as the state agency to coordinate SARA matters in Vermont.
- Participation for Vermont institutions is voluntary.
- Membership is open to degree-granting postsecondary institutions from all sectors accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education.
- Approved institutions will be able to operate in other participating SARA states without seeking independent authorization from those states.
- Vermont is not charging an application fee for approval; however, approved institutions will need to pay an annual fee to SARA.
- Application for VT Postsecondary Institutions
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Current SARA Approved States
Questions and Completed Applications
Cassandra Ryan, Postsecondary Approvals
Agency of Education
219 North Main Street, Suite 402
Barre, VT 05641
The following organizations play important roles in serving the higher education needs of Vermont residents.
- Association of Vermont Independent Colleges (AVIC)
- Consortium of Vermont Colleges (CVC)
- Vermont Higher Education Council (VHEC)
- Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC)
Email Cassandra Ryan, Fiscal and Regulatory Compliance Coordinator, or call (802) 828-1130.