Skip to main content

Postsecondary Programs

A wide range of post-secondary and higher education institutions are found in Vermont. The Agency of Education reviews applications to start colleges in the state and protects student records in the event that a postsecondary institution ceases operating. Statute:  16 V.S.A. § 175 - Postsecondary educational institutions; closing. State Board Rules: 2240 Postsecondary Schools

In-State Higher Education Institutions

These colleges and universities were chartered in Vermont:

Out-of-State Higher Education Institutions

These colleges and universities were chartered outside of Vermont, but are certified by the State Board of Education to offer credit-bearing courses and/or grant degrees in the state.

Complaint Resolution of Postsecondary Schools

To comply with US Department of Education regulations related to eligibility for federal student financial aid programs, the Vermont Agency of Education provides information on complaint resolution of postsecondary schools.

Complaint Resolution of Postsecondary Schools

Records for Closed Postsecondary Schools

Postsecondary Records for Closed Schools

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements

The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establish comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs.

It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state.

The New England Board of Higher Education approved Vermont as a member state in April 2015. Applications for enrollment as an approved postsecondary institution in Vermont began on July 1, 2015.

  • The Agency of Education will serve as the state agency to coordinate SARA matters in Vermont.
  • Participation for Vermont institutions is voluntary.
  • Membership is open to degree-granting postsecondary institutions from all sectors accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education.
  • Approved institutions will be able to operate in other participating SARA states without seeking independent authorization from those states.
  • Vermont is not charging an application fee for approval; however, approved institutions will need to pay an annual fee to SARA. 

SARA Information

Questions and Completed Applications

Cassandra Ryan, Director of Regulatory Compliance & Risk Management
Vermont Agency of Education 
1 National Life Drive, Davis 5
Montpelier, VT 05620-2501
(802) 828-5535

Other Postsecondary Resources

The following organizations play important roles in serving the higher education needs of Vermont residents.


Email Cassandra Ryan, Director of Regulatory Compliance & Risk Assessment or call (802) 828-5535.