The use of Restraint and Seclusion in schools is governed by Vermont State Board of Education Rule 4500.
Purpose of State Board Rule 4500
- Create and maintain a positive and safe learning environment in schools
- Promote positive behavioral interventions and supports in schools
- Ensure that students are not subjected to inappropriate use of restraint or seclusion
Rule 4500 Guidance
- Use of Seclusions Memorandum
- Guidelines on the Use of Seclusions
- Directory of Recommended Programs that Teach the Prevention and Appropriate use of Restraint in School Settings
- Application to Teach the Prevention and Appropriate Use of Restraint in Vermont
- Procedure for Use of a Restraint Training Program Not Listed in the Directory
Incident Reporting Forms
Any person who administers a restraint or seclusion procedure shall report the incident to the school administrator as soon as possible, but no later than the end of the school day. Additionally, Rule 4500 requires that each use of seclusion and restraint be documented in a written report containing all of the required information listed in the Rule and sent to the building administrator. The Rule also lists the criteria when reports must also be sent to the Superintendent and when the Superintendent must send the reports to the Secretary. All reports that are sent to the Secretary must use the following required incident report form and must be sent via the U.S. postal service or hand delivered to the Agency due to concerns related to confidentiality.
- Mandated Restraint and Seclusion Incident Documentation Report, Rule 4500
- Mandated Restraint and Seclusion Incident Documentation Report, Rule 4500 (Print version)
- Sample Parent/Guardian Notice of Restraint/Seclusion Incident