The Agency of Education (AOE) is responsible for helping to increase the awareness of sexual health related information and services that are available to promote student wellness and increase academic success. This includes a variety of health related issues including but not limited to: sexual health, LGBT education, HIV/AIDS and STD education, sexual violence prevention, and healthy relationships.
Vermont Sexual Health and Education Program
The Agency of Education recently concluded a five-year grant award called “Promoting Adolescent Health Through School-Based HIV/STD Prevention”. From 2013-2018 AOE worked with Supervisory Unions and School Districts throughout Vermont to assist them in improving sexual health and education for middle and high school students. A one-pager infographic with program results can be seen below.
- Vermont Statewide
- Addison Northwest School District
- Barre Supervisory Union
- Chittenden East Supervisory Union
- Harwood School District
- Lamoille South Supervisory Union
- Maple Run School District
- Milton Town School District
- North Country Supervisory Union
- Orange North Supervisory Union
- Southwest Vermont Supervisory Union
- Springfield School District
- Windham Southeast Supervisory Union
Although this funding has ended, AOE is committed to providing support for the following listed below.
- Health Services - Sharonlee Trefry at (802) 863-7348
- Sexual Health Education - Sue Yesalonia at (802) 828-6553.
- School Climate - AOE Help Desk at (802) 828-1017.
- Memo - Implementing a Comprehensive Health Education: Law and Regulation
- Joint Resource Guide from AOE and VDH: Sexual Health Education
- Full Spectrum: Educators' Guide to Implementing LGBTQ+ Inclusive Sex Ed
- Best Practices for Schools Regarding Transgender and Gender Noncomforming Students
- Comprehensive Sexual Health Program Policy
- HIV Model Policy
- National Sexuality Education Standards
- National Sexuality Education Standards Tools
- Building a Foundation for Sexual Health is a K-12 Endeavor
- Webinar: Building a Curriculum Framework for Sustainable Sexual Health Education
- Outright Vermont: Education and Outreach
- Planned Parenthood of Northern New England: Peer Education Program