In late June 2020, the Vermont General Assembly passed a host of bills tied to the Coronavirus Relief Fund (CRF) that were subsequently signed into law as Act 120. On October 2, 2020 Act 154 significantly increased the amount of funding for preK-12 schools and added an additional grant program. Through five different programs (School and Indoor Air Quality Grant Program, Summer Food Service Program, Approved Independent Schools grant, LEA grant and the Child Nutrition Equipment grant) the AOE will administer CRF funds totaling approximately $103 million for which all eligible costs must be incurred prior to December 30, 2020.
The application for the Child Nutrition Equipment grant became available to Child Nutrition Program Sponsors on October 16 for reimbursement for the purchase of CARES Act eligible supplies and equipment, including vehicles, freezers, and other capital assets, necessary to provide meals to children using the federal child nutrition programs during the COVID-19 state of emergency. The application closed on November 2, 2020.
The application for the Summer Food Service Program closed on August 18 and AOE announced that subrecipients may submit reimbursement requests for eligible costs for the SFSP grant to AOE on September 30. See the Reporting and Reimbursement section below for instructions.
The School and Indoor Air Quality Grant Program agreement was completed with Efficiency Vermont on August 20. Additional funds (for a total of $13.5 million) were added on October 2, 2020 through Act 154 and another $4.5 million was appropriated from unused CRF program funds on November 11, 2020. Interested LEAs and Approved Independent Schools should contact Efficiency Vermont directly if they are interested in applying for those funds. For more information, please visit Efficiency Vermont's website.
The LEA grant application opened on August 21 and closed on September 2. On October 2, 2020 additional funds were added to meet the demand in the LEA grant program through Act 154.
The Approved Independent School grant application opened on August 24 and closed on September 2. Please note that the completed application should include the budget worksheet (linked below) and a W-9.
All questions to the AOE about CRF Applications should be directed to the AOE CRF Application team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CRF Fiscal Guidance
- Federal Education Funding Planning Guidance (Updated 9/3)
- Memo: FEMA Decision Regarding Coronavirus Relief Funds (9/28)
- US Treasury Coronavirus Relief Fund Frequently Asked Questions (9/2)
- Memo: CRF Supply Chain Delay Guidance (12/1)
Archived CRF Fiscal Guidance
The below guidance related to the CRF has been archived for reference.
- Coronavirus Relief Fund Applications (Oct. 16, 2020)
- Memo: Coronavirus Relief Fund Allowable Costs (Oct. 8, 2020)
- CARES Act: Considerations for Vermont’s Approved Independent Schools (Sept. 2, 2020)
- CARES Act Discussion and Consideration for LEAs (Aug. 14, 2020)
Reporting and Reimbursement
- Coronavirus Relief Fund Reimbursement Request Instructions
- AOE Form 3.0 Monthly Report of Disbursements
- CRF Reimbursement Request Narrative Webform
- Memo: Federal Emergency Funds Accounting Instructions [UPDATED 11/24]
CRF Child Nutrition Equipment and CRF Farm to School Joint Application [CLOSED]
- Application Overview
- Approved list for School Food Authority Equipment Purchases
- CRF Farm to School Grant Resource Page