The special education finance program administers the state's special education funding laws. The current state funding formula for K-12 services is a reimbursement system. Reporting requirements include the submission of a service plan projecting the cost of special education for the upcoming year as well as expenditure reports during the year of actual costs incurred. Program staff review expenditure reports submitted by Vermont school districts and calculate the amount of state assistance, perform audits of the special education expenditure reports to ensure that the information reported is accurate and properly documented, and oversee the distribution of federal IDEA-B and Preschool Flow Through funds to supervisory unions.
Program staff also work with the Department of Vermont Health Access on the School-based Health Services Program which allows schools to generate Medicaid reimbursement for the health-related services provided to special education students who are enrolled in Medicaid and receive eligible services in accordance with their individualized education plans (IEPs).
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act Part B Funding
- Special Education Funding Formula Projections
- Special Education Service Plan
- Special Education Expenditure Report
- Medicaid School-Based Health Services
- Special Education Cost, Average Daily Membership, Child Count by School District Report
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is the federal law establishing procedures for special education services for pre-school children, elementary, and secondary students. The federal law under Part B provides for funding to states, "...to assist them to provide special education and related services to children with disabilities." Please contact Brad James with questions.
Vermont Annual State Application Under Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act as Amended in 2004 for Federal Fiscal Year 2019
- Vermont Annual IDEA State Application for Federal Fiscal Year 2019
- Vermont Estimated IDEA Award Amount for Federal Fiscal Year 2019
The following are the FY-2020 Special Education Funding Projections based on the FY-2020 Special Education Service Plans as of December 15, 2018. The final State appropriation levels will be determined by the Legislature.
View and download instructions and forms for special education service plans used by Vermont school districts to report their anticipated special education expenditures. This service plan is designed to meet the requirement by law that each supervisory union submit a service plan annually to the commissioner reporting their anticipated special education expenditures for the following year.
- Service Plan Memo
- Preschool Worksheet
- K-12 Worksheet
- General Instructions and Section A Instructions
- Section B Instructions
- Section C Instructions
- Section D Instructions
View and download instructions and forms for special education expenditure reports used by Vermont school districts to report their special education expenditures for state funding. The deadline for submission of the Information Sheet for the FY-2019 is October 16, 2018.
- Special Education Expenditure Report Instructions for FY2021
- Special Education Expenditure Report for FY 2021
- Mainstream Block Grant and Match Spent on Support and Remedial Services