Title III State Formula Grant Program
The Agency of Education receives federal Title III state formula grant funds from the Office of Elementary and Secondary Education (OESE) to plan and administer programs to assist English Learners (ELs), including immigrant children and youth, in attaining English language proficiency and developing high levels of academic achievement in order to meet challenging state academic standards.
The program awards Title III English Learner and Immigrant subgrants to eligible local education agencies and provides technical assistance and professional learning related to meeting the diverse needs of English Learners, including:
- Planning and implementing effective language instruction educational programs and curricula on teaching English Learners
- Identifying or developing, and implementing, measures of English proficiency
- Strengthening parent, family, and community engagement in programs that serve English Learners
Title III Local Education Agency Subgrants
Future opportunities to apply for Title III grants will be posted. Applications are submitted through the Agency's Online Grant Application for Local Education Agencies.
K-12 Primary/Home Language Survey
Federal education law requires state and local education agencies to identify English learners who are legally entitled to receive language and academic support services. The State of Vermont requires that all schools administer the Primary/Home Language Survey to all students entering Vermont elementary or secondary schools (public or public/private academies) for the first time in order to identify those who are potentially eligible for programs/services. Depending on survey and interview responses, students from linguistically diverse backgrounds may also be screened to assess their level of English language proficiency for academic purposes.
English Language Proficiency
Through collaboration with member state education agencies and local education agencies, WIDA has created many tools, studies, and training resources to help meet legal and program requirements for ELs, including: Prek-12 WIDA Framework for English Language Development (ELD) Standards & Instruction; Can Do Descriptors; Assessments; Professional Learning and Research materials, which can be accessed online at WIDA with an authorized username and password. State-specific information about English language proficiency assessments, including important dates, materials and training, is posted on Vermont's WIDA webpage.
- ACCESS for ELLs® 2.0 Assessment
- Alternate ACCESS for ELLs® Assessment
- FAQ: English Language Performance Measures Within the Vermont State Plan
- National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA)
- Office for Civil Rights (OCR) English Language Learners’ Resources
- Questions and Answers on the Rights of English Learners
Email Jim McCobb, Title III/EL State Program Director, or call (802) 828-1533.