The Flexible Pathways Initiative, created by Act 77 of 2013 and found in statute under 16 V.S.A. § 941, encourages and supports the creativity of school districts as they develop and expand high-quality educational experiences that are an integral part of secondary education in the evolving 21st-century classroom. Flexible pathways also promote opportunities for Vermont students to achieve postsecondary readiness through high-quality educational experiences that acknowledge individual goals, learning styles, and abilities; and increase the rates of secondary school completion and postsecondary continuation in Vermont. Flexible Pathways provides for:
Personalized Learning and Flexible Pathways Communications Tools
These flyers have been designed for schools to use with their students, families, colleagues and community to support schools in the communication of the components and prospects of Act 77.
- The What and Why of Act 77
- Personalized Learning
- Work-based Learning
- Flexible Pathways
- High School Completion Program
Equity Literacy Grant
The Agency of Education is providing competitive grants to encourage school systems to engage in professional learning opportunities that will lay the foundation for educators to develop and implement strategies to improve equity literacy in their systems. Competitive awards will be granted to SU/SDs that show the greatest promise for positive change. Those that create partnerships regionally and through collaboration with other organizations will be prioritized.
- Collaboration is encouraged. If you are collaborating with educators from other school systems, please submit one grant application together.
- The focus of the grant application is on professional learning that will deepen educators understanding of equity literacy.
- Total funds allocated for the Equity Literacy Grants is $200,000.
Using Flexible Pathways for Personalized Learning
In the spring 2018 the Agency of Education awarded Flexible Pathways Expansion Grants to four supervisory unions and school districts throughout Vermont. These awards will be used to support high-quality, well-rounded, out-of-school time learning opportunities for Vermont learners. These grants represent the continued commitment to support schools and communities in their efforts to implement the Flexible Pathways Initiative – Act 77. Learn more about these Flexible Pathways for Personalized Learning projects.
Previous Grant Opportunities
Three competitive grant opportunities were awarded in April 2017 for the purpose of preparing students for post-secondary success through flexible pathways. Learn more about these Flexible Pathways projects.
Grant opportunity descriptions:
- Developing Work-Based Learning at the Secondary Level: Creating Authentic and Diverse Career Experiences for All Students
- Developing and Scaling Career Advisory: Career Pathways as Part of the Personalized Learning Planning Process
- Integrated Expanded learning Opportunities into Personalized Learning Plans and Flexible Pathways to Graduation