Summer Food Service

Just as learning does not end when school lets out, neither does the need for good nutrition. Two summer food programs are administered nationally by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Service, and within Vermont by the Agency of Education’s Child Nutrition Programs.

Program Regulations and Policies

To find a Summer Meals Site Near You:

Call 2-1-1, the United Way - run resource hotline, or go to the Summer Meal Site Finder.  Information is available mid-June.

Seamless Summer Option

School Food Authorities participating in the NSLP or SBP are eligible to apply for the Seamless Summer Option (SSO). The same NSLP and SBP rules apply for meal service. Meals served are reimbursed at the NSLP and/or SBP “free” rates.

Summer Food Service Program

Public or private non-profit schools, local, municipal, county, tribal or state government, private non-profits, public or private non-profit camps, and private or non-profit universities or colleges can serve as Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) sponsors. Sponsors must be able to provide a capable staff, managerial skills, and food service capabilities. A sponsor may provide its own meals, purchase meals through an agreement with an area school, or contract for meals with a food vendor.


Best Practices

Mobile Feeding Resources

Intent To Participate

The Summer Food Service Program application and site information will be available in spring 2017.  


Requesting USDA Foods or Advances – Due May 1st
All Others – Due May 16th

Child Nutrition Program Online Application 

Contact Us

Vermont Agency of Education
Secretary Daniel M. French
219 North Main Street, Suite 402
Barre, VT 05641

Web and Document Accessibility Policy​
Public Records Requests

(802) 479-1030 |
Staff Directory | Division Phone Numbers

Connect with Us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
Google+ icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon